The intention of this document is to provide guidance for all Associations that wish to develop a framework for a Curriculum, acceptable to National Associations across Europe. It has been developed by consensus, with input from all the authorities identified in the introduction. It is recognised by both UEMS and EFORT that there is wide variation in the process of Education in Orthopaedics and Traumatology between the different nations in Europe, and we hope this curriculum will continue to improve the harmonisation of Orthopaedic practice, for the benefit of health professionals, national authorities and above all, patients.
- European Curriculum in Orthopaedics and Trauma (PDF document – 52 pages – 2.95Mb)
The EFORT White Book
The objective of EFORT’s European Educational Platform (EEP) is to provide an ‘Electronic White Book’ of curricula gathered from the EFORT Members of the European Orthopaedics and/or Trauma National Associations/Societies some of which are now available for general consultation on the EFORT Website. In some cases there are curricula, in other cases there are no curricula but training programmes and outlines of preferred qualifications to become an Orthopeadic & Trauma surgeon; some are in the national language others are translated into English. The following countries have provided their input: Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey & United Kingdom. Additional information will be incorporated when it is received.
EFORT is aware that there is still a wide variation in Orthopaedics and Trauma Education in Europe and is in the process of building a European curriculum which intends to help in harmonizing the different process of Orthopaedics & Trauma Education in Europe. It will be up to each national association to adopt or adjust it to their national requirements. This ‘European curriculum’ will be available for consultation in January 2015.
Disclaimer - These documents have been made available through our Member association/societies. EFORT has received permission to publish the different curricula as an integral part of its committee work under the EEP project. If you wish to find out more, contact the national associations/societies directly.
List of available national orthopaedic & traumatology curriculums in Europe
- Specialist in Orthopaedics and Traumatology (English version | PDF document, 29 pages, 474 kb)
- Training of Cypriots in orthopaedic surgery (English version | PDF document, 1 page, 70 kb)
- Målbeskrivelse for Speciallægeuddannelsen i Ortopædisk Kirurgi (Danish version | PDF document, 67 pages, 282 kb)
- Diploma in specialized Studies of General Surgery (English version | PDF document, 2 pages, 130 kb)
- Further Education (FE)- Competencies 0 & U – BÄK principles (English version | PDF document, 7 pages, 389 kb)
- Amendment of the (Draft-)Further Education Regulation (MWBO) (English version | PDF document, 38 pages, 1.8 Mb)
- Hellenic Association of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology (HAOST) (English version | PDF document, 1 page, 179 kb)
- General Rules Concerning the Activity of surgeons and Dentist in Specialized Training (English version | PDF document, 8 pages, 427 kb)
- Association of Surgeons of Malta – Charter on Training in General Surgery (English version | PDF document, 97 pages, 398 kb)
- Post-graduate Training programme in Orthopaedics & Trauma in Malta (English version | PDF document, 5 pages, 93 kb)
- Opleidingsplan Orthopedie (Dutch version | PDF document, 105 pages, 628 kb)
- The specialization in Orthopedics and traumatology (English version | PDF document, 13 pages, 158 kb)
- Residency Program – Orthopaedics and Trauma – Portugal – “Portaria 50 / 97” (English version | PDF document, 6 pages, 242 kb)
- Serbia Programme OT training ( English version | PDF document, 22 pages, 187 kb)
- Slovenia Traumatology (English version | PDF document, 7 pages, 245 kb)
- Slovenia Orthopaedic Surgery (English version | PDF document, 8 pages, 255 kb)
- Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology: Spanish Curriculum (English version | PDF document, 9 pages, 220 kb)
- Curriculum for specialization in orthopaedics in Sweden (English version | PDF document, 8 pages, 376 kb)
- Specialist in orthopaedic surgery and musculoskeletal traumatology (English version | PDF document, 21 pages, 442 kb)
- Orthopaedics and Traumatology: Core Schedule of Specialization Education (English version | PDF document, 23 pages, 943 kb)
- Specialist Training in Trauma and Orthopaedics – Curriculum 2012 (English version | PDF document, 212 pages, 3.2 Mb)